Thursday, September 4, 2008

Amethyst


Amethyst has special meaning to me, as it is my birthstone. Not only do I love the color, varying from light to deep purple, but I love all of the myths and stories written about it.

Amethyst is actually a type of quartz and the most valued variety, according to a really interesting website I came across today called Gem by Gem. It has some interesting facts about gemstones, such as wearing amethyst in direct sunlight for too long can fade the color markedly, or that wearing amethyst can keep you from becoming drunk (don't know if I would want to put that to the test or not), and of course that it was the favored color gem for royalty for many centuries.

I found a nice strand of amethyst chip beads in northern Wisconsin this summer and made a chucky, but elegant necklace from it. You can find it on my Etsy page.

No comments: